Monday, April 18, 2016

Weekly MTG Update - April 18th, 2016


Another week has flown by us and this just means another Weekly MTG Update! So let's start off with some local FNM results!

I did not attend Modern Monday again due to work conflicts but I did attend FNM this past Friday and brought Mono Red Eldrazi with me below is my list:

Overall I went 1-2 and dropped. I only managed to beat BW control and lost to Bant Company and a homebrew UR thopter list.

I have a PPTQ coming up this Saturday that I plan on attending and will be preparing for it this week so expect some streams coming your way!

I'm hoping to do some more video content not just with the podcast but maybe some deck showcases in Magic Duels since I'm pretty fond of the game but we shall see. The biggest thing I need for all this is time! Which I have none of sadly.

In other news, the Starcitygames Invitational just happened and wow what a showing for Standard. Bant Company and W/x or even Mono White humans have both had very strong showings. I'm not sure how I feel about all this as the meta is still in it's infancy stages with SOI just being out. I really hope we won't be facing a similar meta to Theros/RTR where 2-3 decks are the only one's showing up. That spells trouble to me but as I said, way too early to tell.

Collected Company has become a card that has definitely shaped Standard maybe even more so than Siege Rhino ever did. Creature decks have become the go to decks and it's becoming more and more common place to run 25+ creatures right now. Even in Modern Collected Company has seen some impact mainly with Abzan and Elves. It feels like over the weekend with SCG people have forgotten to sideboard in Hollowed Moonlight, especially now that 4C Rally is no longer a threat.

So what else has been going on with MTG? I did open a box of SOI last week and below are the best pulls I got out of it!
A photo posted by @zubatron on
I must say I've been enjoying SOI draft a lot! It really makes me want to play more limited which I feel I have neglected terribly since I've gone hardcore into Standard and Modern. I did a SOI draft and below is what I put together. I feel it isn't too terrible but it was a lot of fun. Inspiring Captain is definitely a real threat to be had on the board and people kept passing them to me! At one point my deck had 3 but I had to trim it down.

Otherwise not much else has been going on with me MTG wise. I'm prepping for this PPTQ and hoping to do decently well, but we shall see! I'll be sure to do a write up on it when I get back from the tournament!


No comments:

Post a Comment